Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mesmerizing Udaipur


The Jagmandir Island - floating in midst of the lake
the ferry dropped us here and then we never wanted to leave.
While we sat watching the mainland, the hill lined lake side lazing
under the peace and quiet afternoon sun.




The pool at the palace I was staying in
and if u think it's lovely by the day, It just turns magical by the night
I lay counting stars at night,
watching the night grow older, quieter
while I grew calmer within.




I went for a work trip to Udaipur, in Rajasthan, India for a couple of days. A beautiful town situated around three main lakes Udaisagar, Fateh Sagar and Lake Picola. Known as the 'Venice of East' It did live up to the description it has been adorned with.

It turned out to be a smashing fun trip as I and my friend Jacob, decided to explore the city on our own, walking it's streets (with a little help of helpful locals and internet) we discovered that the city had more than just stone palaces to offer, in terms of folk art, innovative ideas and experiences.

For three days, I broke free from the usual rush of life, and lived life in slow motion, holding on to each moment that came by, savoring each moment while it lasted before moving into the next. For three days I walked mesmerized by the beautiful city with it's majestic palaces, lakes, island hotel, moonlight lake view diners, peaceful lakeside afternoons and magical sunsets.

While we were mostly too busy capturing the moments and imprinting them as memories on the film of our minds, we did manage to capture a few as photographs on the lens of our camera. Here are a few


The City Palace, Udaipur all lighted up at night


I watched the sun slowly set, heard the birds calling those still
wandering away from homes back, and I knew why those
who were still out were not back in their nests
'cuz they were just as spellbound as I was with the magic the setting sun was weaving.

I never wanted to get out of the spell,
I never wanted to get down the hill we had climbed
I never wanted the music of the blowing wind to stop
I never wanted that moment to end
I just wanted to continue living in this moment
In fact in some corner of my mind I will continue living in that moment forever.



And not to be left behind,
the city began lightening up, to match up with the sunset with it's grandeur
while we just stood by as The Enchanted Spectators

And if u think it were only the nights that were magical
the days were no less, it was a magic of different kind.









This was a puppet show we attended, amateur but not bad with the music and dance.


This was at a vegetarian food joint 'the millets of Marwar' run by young cooks, who have worked
hard on their own recipes, tested them, added their own innovative touch
to the traditional Indian food, we were bowled over by their food
and I found this artist of Marwar paintings  and decided to get a few tips for this hobby of mine.

This was just plain hilarious, at a cultural haat  on the outskirts of Udaipur, showcasing different
dance forms that Rajasthan has to offer

The Aghori Dance

Taran taal another amazing dance form of Rajasthan


 The palace and it's beauties, the windows, the gateways, the beautiful glass work in and around.



















This was terrifying, trust me it was one hell of a scary ride
I'm done with camel rides for a lifetime now.

8 comments:

Raj Bhargav said...

Its beautiful ! Thanks for sharing :)

adee said...

lovely little travelogue! you've tempted me enough to go there sometime :) and beautiful pics. hope to see some tricks u learned from that folk artist on display soon :) and camel ride is not at all scary, i call it nature's slow roller-coaster :D

Kyra said...

@Raj glad u enjoyed...do visit the city if u find time :)

Kyra said...

@Adee u can make it if u have just 3 days in hand, and it is amazing...call me up when u r planning I'll tell u how to go about...and camel ride was scary..the getting up and getting down is fearsome.

Suz said...

Oh this was so beautiful to look at..so mysterious and awesome...sunset..always a moment
I hope you are refreshed and changed
forever by its beauty
love that peacock

Kyra said...

@Suz I am glad u enjoyed it, yes sunsets are moments...i am always rejuvenated and entranced by them and this one was particularly special, i'll remember it for the rest of my life...and yes the peacock really was lovely :)

life in red shoes said...

What a wonderful break from the real world! You must find a way to bottle some of the freedom you felt and save it for a day when you need it mose :)
Thank you for your comments!

Kyra said...

@red Thank you for stopping by, memories are the way i have bottled up that freedom :)